Monday, November 2, 2015

Splurge vs. Save

For me, one of the most fun parts of decorating a home is in putting together the mix of objects. I don't find it very interesting or appealing when a room looks like it was directly transplanted out of a catalog, with everything in the same finish and looking like a matched set. I love to incorporate both new and old pieces, as well as high-end items and bargain pieces. That layered richness really is where it's at. 

Eddie Ross is a master at this:


via Better Homes and Gardens

Of course, it's critical to know where to splurge and where to save. For example, if you sit on your sofa everyday, you'll probably regret going with the cheapest option you could find. Everyone has their own rules for what constitutes a splurge, and also where they want to spend their money. 

For me, those accessories that finish a room, or items that you don't necessarily use day-in-day-out are a great place to save. I've found a few gorgeous items lately that fall across the price spectrum, so I thought I'd round them up here. 

It all started with this truly amazing Kathryn McCoy selenite fireplace sculpture, via Bergdorf Goodman. 


BGF16_-5K0A

Once I saw this amazing piece, I could. not. stop. thinking. about. it. This is the sort of focal piece that not only makes the room, it makes the house.

One small problem though: this piece is $6000. Yes, you read that correctly - $6000. Crazy time, right? I joke all the time about needing to sell an organ to buy a particular thing I want, but in this case, I'm not even sure that would be enough. What's the black market rate for a spare kidney, anyway? Probably less than $6K. 

I started thinking about what it was I love about the piece. It's eye-catching. I've never seen anything else like it, and it combines luxury with an organic quality that is most definitely my love language. So, I found this option from Jayson Home that while certainly not as showstopping as the sculpture, bring in many of the same qualities as that piece for, oh, about 5% of the cost: 

Selenite Fireplace Logs


Horchow has a lot of really beautiful pieces, and this gorgeous gold etagere is but one example: 




It could work with lots of different styles, and I love the Hollywood Regency feel it has due to the brass finish. It's nearly $3K though, and in most spaces you'd want a pair, not just one. 

I spotted this option via PB Teen (of all places!) and think it's got a similar vibe at about 1/4 the price: 



Maison Bookcase

In fact, I think I like the lines on the PB Teen one even better than the pricier Horchow piece.

One last place to consider splurging vs. saving is if you're in the market for custom upholstery. Designer fabrics are typically very expensive - anywhere from $150-300/yard is pretty standard. Depending on the repeat, even just a couple of pillows can require 2 or more yards, which of course adds up quickly - and that's before you pay a seamstress to sew them for you. 

I was recently in the market for four pillows for my twin sofas in the living room. I knew I wanted them to be Schumacher's Chiang Mai Dragon aquamarine fabric:
173270 Chiang Mai Dragon Aquamarine by FSchumacher

Isn't it so pretty? It pulls together all the colors in my house and it's such a stunning pattern. It occurred to me to check etsy, and as I have so many times in the past, I struck etsy gold.

There are amazing etsy shops selling pillows in Schumacher, Kelly Wearstler, and other uber-expensive fabrics, for prices that, while still not cheap, are a steal compared to the cost of the fabric. 


I ended up ordering from here and was very happy with the end product. I've also heard good things about this one.

One thing to keep in mind, is only the front of the pillow cover is in the designer fabric - the back is a coordinating solid. Not an issue for me, but it could be an unpleasant surprise if you weren't expecting that. You'll also need to supply your own pillow insert.

Here are the pillows in my living room:

 

Thanks as always for reading, and watch for more updates (including a couple more finished room reveals!) soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment